IT’S PUMPKIN TIME PEOPLE! This time of year everyone seems to be in search of the next best pumpkin dessert recipe. The only problem with this is the fact that most of these dessert recipes are loaded with fat, sugar, and not to mention carbohydrates! I have been very aware of gluten these days because of friends with allergies, so I made sure to make these little puppies gluten free as well! I have to say, these protein pumpkin cupcakes are so clean, that I would tell my clients to feel free to eat these for breakfast-on-the-go, mid-day snack, post workout snack, and dessert of course! These yummy pumpkin cupcakes are loaded with protein and extremely low on the glycemic index…so they are an extremely healthy option for a fall sweet treat!
- Gather all ingredients, a cupcake tin (12 cupcakes), 12 cupcake liners, cooking spray, large mixing bowl, medium mixing bowl, and a spoon. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all “Protein Pumpkin Cupcake Ingredients” to a mixing bowl and mix well until all ingredients are blended smooth without clumps. Please try to use raw protein powder (plant based) because the texture of the cupcakes may not be the same if you use whey, casein, or soy protein powder. Also, most of the whey, casein, and soy products contain much more sweetener, therefore please keep this in mind if you use one of these. You may want to adjust the stevia amount if your protein powder is extremely sweet.
- Spray a cupcake tin with cooking spray. Pour the pumpkin protein batter into each cupcake liner, about 3/4 or slightly more. Place each filled liner into the cupcake tin and place the tin into the oven and bake on 350 degrees for 23-28 minutes depending on your oven. Check the center of the cupcakes with a toothpick after 23 minutes…and adjust time as needed.
- While the cupcakes are cooking, make the pumpkin cream cheese icing. Add all “Pumpkin Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients” into a medium bowl and mix well until creamy and smooth.
- (FOR BEST RESULTS, but not required) Keep the icing in the fridge until 5 minutes before frosting the cupcakes. Wait to frost the pumpkin protein cupcakes until they are completely cool. 5 minutes before frosting, spoon the icing into a small ziploc baggie and place in the freezer. Take out of freezer and trim the bottom corner of the baggie. Squeeze the icing out of the ziploc baggie onto the top of the cupcakes. Only frost the cupcakes you are planning on eating…wait to frost the rest before eating becuase the remaining frosting must be refrigerated. Keep the unfrosted cupcakes in a baggie until ready to eat. Sprinkle with cinnamon and ENJOY!!!!!!