There are a number of ways to lose weight that can be detrimental to your mental and physical health. I feel the need to address this issue because a lot of people are creating more harm than good to their bodies in an attempt to lose weight. I have known a few people that have struggled with unhealthy means of weight loss and I do not wish their terrible long term effects on my worst enemy.
- THE LOW CALORIE/NO CALORIE DIET- Anorexia is such a prevalent disorder among teenagers, as well as many others. Our bodies need fat and calories for fuel, and lack of food can lead to many major problems. Without the proper nutrients, the body will eventually go into organ failure. As a means of restricting calories, many people will latch onto the artificial sweeteners in order to consume food and beverages. Artificial sweetener is a whole other beast, but you should stay away from it as much as possible. I suggest using Stevia in the Raw or raw sugar in moderation. STICK WITH NATURAL!
SKIPPING MEALS- Many people skip meals in an attempt to consume less daily calories in hopes that leads to weight loss. Eating fewer meals throughout the day will actually SLOW DOWN your metabolism and lead to weight gain. If you are eating a low glycemic (high protein and fiber) diet, then the more meals you consume throughout the day, the better! You have to eat to lose!
- PURGING- This is a fancy word for making yourself throw up. You may have heard of Bulimia, which is the eating disorder that involves binging (eating a TON of food in one sitting) and then purging immediately after. This disorder is extremely dangerous and will actually lead to more intense cravings for unhealthy foods. Purging can lead to long term effect on the body such as: damage to the teeth, throat, esophagus, intestines, and even the heart.Purging causes dehydration, abdominal cramping and pain, boating and constipation. To top it off, you can develop bad breath, dry skin, and hair loss.
LAXATIVES- This seems to be the big “craze” in the weight loss world unfortunately. Many Bulimics will use laxatives in place of Purging…or even do both as a means of expelling the food they eat. Overuse of laxatives (in any form) will lead to serious problems that may not be reversible. People who abuse laxatives will eventually develop a dependency for laxatives, basically requiring more and more in order to produce a bowel movement. Long term effects will also include: weakened GI tract, dehydration, bone weakening, colon infection, bowel tumors, blurry vision, abdominal pain, gas, bloating, kidney damage, organ damage, and DEATH.
- WEIGHT LOSS SUPPLEMENTS and DRUGS- Many people use cocaine as a means for weight loss. Obviously this is both illegal and unhealthy in many ways. Weight loss pills, such as fat-burners, can be very dangerous if you do not research properly. I do not promote any type of weight loss pill/package because I feel there are too many unsafe products on the market that an do serious damage. If you have any pre-existing cardiac issues, hypertension, etc then you should stay away from weight loss products. Some of the side effects of fat burners are heart palpitations, elevated blood pressure, tachycardia (high heart rate), nausea, diarrhea, and increased sweating. The mayo clinic has compiled numerous studies of long term effects of fat burners, and they confirm the harmful effects on the heart with long term use.
- FAD DIETS: Now EVERYONE has tried at least one fad diet in their lifetime, whether it was the Adkins Diet, Paleo Diet, Chicken Soup Diet, Cabbage Soup Diet, South Beach Diet, etc. We are human, and we want instant gratification. Fad diets tend to be extreme diets, therefore you typically see results fast. Whats so wrong with that you ask? Well, 99% of the time you will gain the weight back (and more) once you stop the diet. About 45 million Americans diet each year, spending $2 billion/year on weight loss programs. The interesting thing about this is the fact that America is still the most obese country on earth! I have said it before, and I will say it again…a balanced diet is the only way to lose weight and keep it off FOREVER. If you are still confused about this Low Glycemic Diet I always preach about, please view the video below to better understand.
- OVER-EXERCISING- You do not have to spend 3 hours each day, 7 days/wk, in order to lose weight and feel great! Please check out my special offer to understand how to get incredible results in half the time!