Are you preparing for a trip and nervous about staying on track with your nutrition? Traveling is great, but it can also be stressful when it comes to sticking with a low glycemic diet. Although it may seem close to impossible to eat healthy on vacation, THERE IS A WAY! I am going to share some of my favorite meals/snacks that are quick and easy to pack for a long day of travel. These are also snacks that you can keep in your hotel room for those times you might want to walk to the local ice cream shop and indulge. So reach for that yummy protein bar instead!!!
- Low Glycemic Protein Bars/Nuts Bars. Make sure to read the label of the protein bar and it should have a “low glycemic” tag if it is low glycemic. It may still be low glycemic and not specify. Make sure the protein and sugar/carb ratio is fairly comparable and DO NOT eat the bars that have double the sugar content than the protein content. My favorites are:
- Clif Builder’s Bars (peanut butter chocolate and mint chocolate are amazing)
- Luna Bars and Luna Protein Bars (chocolate chip cookie dough and peppermint stick are amazing)
- Zone Bars
- Quest Bars (try to get the flavors without sucralose)
- Garden of Life Protein Bars
- Kind Bars (dark chocolate and sea salt is the only flavor that is very low in sugar).
- Think Thin Protein Bars
- Oatmega Protein Bars
- FLATOUT (light original or multigrain flaxseed) with natural peanut butter and a small unripe sliced banana
- FLATOUT (light original or multigrain flaxseed) with natural peanut butter and a sprinkle of stevia
- Blue Diamond Nut Thins Crackers or Lentil Crackers with natural peanut butter (optional sprinkle of stevia)
- Blue Diamond Nut Thins Crackers or Lentil Crackers with avocado
- Blue Diamond Nut Thins Crackers or Lentil Crackers with hummus
- Blue Diamond Nut Thins Crackers or Lentil Crackers with greek cream cheese or laughing cow cheese wedges
- Hummus and Veggies
- Celery and peanut/almond butter
- Walnuts and Almonds…my fav is Habanero BBQ Almonds!!!
- I would highly recommend making a large batch of my healthy cinnamon stevia nut mix and packing for your trip. I make a giant batch every year for my vacations…and everyone gets to enjoy!
- Another simple snack idea is fruit. You may not have access to a cooler, but if you do, I would focus on low glycemic fruits such as: apples/strawberries/blackberries/raspberries/blueberries
- Turkey Jerkey is a great substitute for regular beef jerkey. High protein and low carbs. Make sure to drink extra water if you choose this snack…it contains high sodium.
- Roasted Edamame and chickpeas are also great travel snack options that are loaded with protein.
- Quest Protein Chips is another great option for a travel snack that is packed with protein.
Hope this helps you all stay on track. Remember…there is always a way to stay healthy on the go! Safe travels all:)
PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE AN INDIVIDUALIZED MEAL PLAN!